Alimov, Denis Evgenievich. An innovative synthesis of early medieval Croatian history (On N. Budak’s book «The Croatian history from 550 to 1100»)

Published Date:

For citation: Alimov, Denis Evgenievich. An innovative synthesis of early medieval Croatian history (On N. Budak’s book «The Croatian history from 550 to 1100»), in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2021. № 1. Pp. 169-195. DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/spbu19.2021.111

Title of the article An innovative synthesis of early medieval Croatian history (On N. Budak’s book «The Croatian history from 550 to 1100»)
Authors

Alimov, Denis Evgenievich — PhD in History, Associate Professor, St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russia, Orc ID 0000-0002-4733-4150; e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In the section Recensiones / Reviews
Year 2021 Issue Pages 169-195
Type of article RAR Index UDK; BBK UDK 94(497.5);
BBK63.3(0)4
Index DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/spbu19.2021.111
Abstract

The study was conducted within the framework of the research project supported by the Russian Fund for Fundamental Research, project no. 17-06-00464 А «Historical Dynamics of Political Institutions: From Local Potestarity to the Global World-System».

The article is a review of the book by the Croatian historian Neven Budak «Croatian history from 550 to 1100» (Budak, Neven. Hrvatska povijest od 550. do 1100. Zagreb, Leykam international, 2018. 352 р.). Budak’s book is an innovative conceptual synthesis of the early medieval history of Croatia taking full account of the latest achievements in history and archeology. From new theoretical and methodological positions, the book examines the processes of transition from antiquity to the Middle Ages in Dalmatia, Istria, and southern Pannonia, the formation of the Croatian ethnic community, the formation of Croatian polity and the socio-political development of the Croatian kingdom in the 9th–11th centuries. An important feature of the book is that the early medieval Croatian history is examined in it in a wider European context, with great attention to events and processes that took place in Byzantium, the Carolingian Empire, Rome, Venice, the Kingdom of Hungary, etc., which allowed the researcher to adequately interpret the most important events and the processes of the Croatian early Middle Ages. By creating a convenient theoretical framework for the further contextualizing of historical information, the book can serve as a new starting point for research and understanding of the Croatian early Middle Ages.

Keywords Early Middle Ages, early medieval Croatia, Croatian kingdom 
Full text version of the article. Article language  Russian
Bibliography

Alimov, Denis Evgenievich. Khorvaty, kul’t Peruna i slavyanskiy «gentilizm». (Kommentariy k gipoteze Ante Miloševića o tozhdestve Porina i Peruna) [The Croats, cult of Perun, and Slavic «Gentilismus». (A commentary to Ante Milošević’s hypothesis on the identity of Porin and Perun)], in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2015. No. 2 (18). Pp. 21–64. (in Russian).

Alimov, Denis Evgenievich. Etnogenez khorvatov: Formirovanie khorvatskoy etnopoliticheskoy obschnosti v VII–IX vv. [Ethnogenesis of the Croats: The formation of the Croatian ethno-political community in the 7th–9th centuries]. St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya Publ., 2016. 380 p. (in Russian).

Ančić, Mladen. Franački i langobardski utjecaji pri stvaranju i oblikovanju Hrvatske Kneževine [Frankish and Lombard influences in the creation and shaping of the Duchy of Croatia], in Starohrvatska prosvjeta. Ser. III. 2016. Vol. 43. Pp. 217–238. (in Croatian).

Ančić, Mladen. Kako danas čitati studije Franje Račkoga [How to read Franjo Rački’s studies], in Rački, Franjo. Nutarnje stanje Hrvatske prije XII. stoljeća [Internal state of Croatia before the 12th century]. Zagreb: Golden marketing — Tehnička knjiga Publ., 2009. Pp. VII–XXXVIII. (in Croatian).

Ančić, Mladen. Migration or Transformation: The Roots of the Early Medieval Croatian Polity, in Dzino, Danijel; Milošević, Ante; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Migration, Integration and Connectivity on the Southeastern Frontier of the Carolingian Empire. Leiden; Boston: Brill Publ., 2018. Pp. 43–62.

Ančić, Mladen. Zamišljanje tradicije: Vrijeme i okolnosti postanka 30. glave djela De administrando imperio [Imagining the tradition: When and why the 30th chapter of the De administrando imperio was written], in Radovi Zavoda za hrvatsku povijest. 2010. Vol. 42. Pp. 133–152. (in Croatian).

Banaszkiewicz, Jacek. Pan Rugii — Rugiewit i jego towarzysze z Gardźca: Porewit i Porenut (Saxo Gramatyk, Gesta Danorum, XIV, 39, 38–41) [Rugiewit, the lord of Rugia, and his companions from Garz: Porewit i Porenut (Saxo Gramatyk, Gesta Danorum, XIV, 39, 38–41)], in Kurnatowska, Zofia (ed.). Słowiańszczyzna w Europie średniowiecznej. T. 1. Plemiona i wczesne państwa [The Slavdom in medieval Europe. Vol. 1. Tribes and early states]. Wrocław: Werk Publ., 1996. Pp. 75–82. (in Polish).

Barada, Miho. Dinastičko pitanje u Hrvatskoj XI. Stoljeća [Dynastic question in the 11th century Croatia], in Vjesnik za arheologiju i historiju dalmatinsku. 1928–1929. Vol. 50. Pp. 157–199. (in Croatian).

Bilogrivić, Goran. Borna, dux Guduscanorum — Local Groups and Imperial Authority on the Carolingian Southeastern Frontier, in Hortus artium medievalium. 2019. Vol. 25. Pp. 170–176.

Bilogrivić, Goran. Carolingian Weapons and the Problem of Croat Migration and Ethnogenesis, in Dzino, Danijel; Milošević, Ante; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Migration, Integration and Connectivity on the Southeastern Frontier of the Carolingian Empire. Leiden; Boston: Brill Publ., 2018. Pp. 86–102.

Brett, Caroline. Brittany and the Carolingian Empire: A Historical Review, in History Compass. 2013. Vol. 11. Pp. 268–279.

Budak, Neven. Carolingian renaissance or renaissance of the 9th century on the Eastern Adriatic?, in Dzino, Danijel; Milošević, Ante; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Migration, Integration and Connectivity on the Southeastern Frontier of the Carolingian Empire. Leiden; Boston: Brill Publ., 2018. Pp. 32–42.

Budak, Neven. Croatia between the Myths of the Nation State and of the Common European Past, in Dobre, Claudia-Florentina; Ghiţă, Cristian Emilian (eds). Quest for a Suitable Past. Myth and Memory in Eastern and Central Europe. Budapest: Central European University Press, 2017. Pp. 29–50.

Budak, Neven. Furta sacra et inventio traditionis: je li doista postojao kontinuitet između Salonitanske i Splitske biskupije? [Furta sacra et inventio traditionis. Was there a continuity of Cults from the Salonitan to the Split Bishopric?], in Jurković, Miljenko; Milošević, Ante (eds). Munuscula in honorem Željko Rapanić: Zbornik povodom osamdesetog rođendana [Munuscula in honorem Željko Rapanić. Festschrift on the occasion of his 80th birthday]. Zagreb; Motovun; Split: Međunarodni istraživački centar za kasnu antiku i srednji vijek Publ., 2012. Pp. 157–179. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Hrvati u ranom srednjem vijeku [Croats in the early Middle Ages], in Šanjek, Franjo (ed.). Povijest Hrvata. Knj. 1: Srednji vijek [History of the Croats. Vol. I: Middle Ages]. Zagreb: Školska knjiga Publ., 2003. P. 49–79. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Hrvatska i Bizant u 10. stoljeću [Croatia and Byzantium in the 10th century], in Tabula: časopis Filozofskog fakulteta u Puli. 2014. Vol. 12. Pp. 51–63. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Hrvatski identitet i povijest [Croat identity and history], in Mandarić, Valentina Blaženka; Razum, Ružica (eds). Identitet kao odgojno-obrazovna vrjednota [Identity as educational value]. Zagreb: Glas Koncila Publ., 2011. Pp. 105–120. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Hrvatska povijest od 550. do 1100 [Croatian history from 550 to 1100]. Zagreb: Leykam international Publ., 2018. 352 p. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Identities in early medieval Dalmatia (seventh – eleventh century), in Garipzanov, Ildar H.; Geary, Patrick J.; Urbańczyk, Przemysław (eds). Franks, Northmen, and Slavs: Identities and state formation in early medieval Europe. Turnhout: Brepols Publ., 2008. Pp. 223–241.

Budak, Neven. Karlo Veliki: Karolinzi i Hrvati [Charlemagne: The Carolingians and the Croats]. Split: Muzej hrvatskih arheoloških spomenika Publ., 2001. 128 p. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Njemački papa i hrvatski papagaj [German Pope and Croatian parrot], in Historijski zbornik. 2018. Vol. 71 (1). Pp. 1–5. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. One More Renaissance? Dalmatia and the Revival of the European Economy, in Ančić, Mladen; Shepard, Jonathan; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Imperial spheres and the Adriatic: Byzantium, the Carolingians and the Treaty of Aachen (812). New York; Oxford: Routledge Publ., 2018. Pp. 174–192.

Budak, Neven. Prva stoljeća Hrvatske [Croatia’s first centuries]. Zagreb: Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada Publ., 1994. 248 p. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Razvitak hrvatskog etničkog identiteta [Development of the Croat ethnic identity], in Nikolić Jakus, Zrinka (ed.). Nova zraka u europskom svjetlu. Hrvatske zemlje u ranome srednjem vijeku (oko 550 – oko 1150) [New ray in the European light: Croatian lands in the early middle ages (550–1150)]. Zagreb: Matica hrvatska Publ., 2015. Pp. 73–88. (in Croatian).

Budak, Neven. Slavic Ethnogenesies in Modern Northern Croatia, in Bratož, Rajko (ed.). Slovenija in sosednje dežele med antiko i karolinško dobo. Začetke slovenske etnogeneze [Slovenia and neighbouring countries from the Antique to the Carolingian time. The beginnings of the Slovenian ethnogenesis]. Ljubljana: National Museum of Slovenia Publ., 2000. Pp. 395–402.

Budak, Neven. Using the Middle Ages in Modern-Day Croatia, in Bak, Janos M.; Jarnut, Jörg; Monet, Pierre; Schneidemüller, Bernd (eds). Gebrauch und Missbrauch des Mittelalters, 19.–21. Jahrhundert / Uses and Abuses of the Middle Ages: 19th–21st Century / Usages et Mésusages du Moyen Age du XIXe au XXIe siècle. München: Wilhelm Fink Publ., 2009. Pp. 241–262.

Budak, Neven. Was the cult of St. Bartholomew a royal option in early Medieval Croatia?, in Nagy, Balázs; Sebök, Marcell (eds). The Man of Many Devices, Who Wandered Full Many Ways. Festschrift in Honor of János M. Bak. Budapest: Central European University Press, 1999. Pp. 241–249.

Davies, Wendy. On the Distribution of Political Power in Brittany in the Mid-Ninth Century, in Gibson, Margaret T.; Nelson, Janet L. (eds). Charles the Bald: Court and Kingdom. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports Publ., 1981. Pp. 87–107.

Dzino, Danijel. Becoming Slav, Becoming Croat: Identity Transformations in Post-Roman and Early Medieval Dalmatia. Leiden; Boston: Brill Publ., 2010. 271 p.

Dzino, Danijel. From Byzantium to the West: «Croats and Carolingians» as a Paradigm Change in the Research of Early Medieval Dalmatia, in Dzino, Danijel; Milošević, Ante; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Migration, Integration and Connectivity on the Southeastern Frontier of the Carolingian Empire. Leiden; Boston: Brill Publ., 2018. Pp. 17–31.

Dzino, Danijel. Post-Roman Dalmatia: Collapse and Regeneration of a Complex Social System, in Ančić, Mladen; Shepard, Jonathan; Vedriš, Trpimir (eds). Imperial spheres and the Adriatic: Byzantium, the Carolingians and the Treaty of Aachen (812). New York; Oxford: Routledge Publ., 2018. Pp. 155–173.

Ganina, Nataliya Aleksandrovna. Tayny r’ugenskikh slavyan [Enigmas of the Rügen Slavs], in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2015. No. 2 (18). Pp. 65–81. (in Russian).

Geary, Patrick. The Myth of Nations: The Medieval Origins of Europe. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2002. 199 p.

Giejsztor, Aleksander. Mifologiya slavyan [The Slavs’ mythology]. Moscow: Ves’ Mir Publ., 2014. 384 p. (in Russian).

Goldstein, Ivo. Hrvatski rani srednji vijek [The Croatian Early Middle Ages]. Zagreb: Novi Liber Publ., 1995. 511 p. (in Croatian).

Gračanin, Hrvoje. Južna Panonija u kasnoj antici i ranom srednjovjekovlju (od konca 4. do konca 11. stoljeća) [South Pannonia in late antique and early medieval times (from the end of the 4th century to the end of the 11th century)]. Zagreb: Plejada Publ., 2011. 455 p. (in Croatian).

Grafenauer, Bogo. Sklabarhontes = «gospodarji Slovanov» ili «slovanski knazi»? [Sklabarhontes = «Masters of Slavs» or «Slavic princes»?], in Zgodovinski časopis. 1955. Vol. IX. Pp. 202–219. (in Slovenian).

Hauptmann, Ljudmil. Karantanska Hrvatska [Carantanian Croatia], in Zbornik kralja Tomislava (Posebna izdanja Jugoslavenske akademije znanosti i umjetnosti. Knj. 17) [A collection of essays in honour of king Tomislav (Special editions of the Yugoslav academy of sciences and arts. Vol. 17)]. Zagreb: Jugoslavenska akademija znanosti i umjetnosti Publ., 1925. Pp. 297–317. (in Croatian).

Karbić, Damir. Zlatni vijek Bribira [The Golden age of Bribir], in Hrvatska revija. 2007. Vol. VII. No. 2. Pp. 12–19. (in Croatian).

Klaić, Nada. Povijest Hrvata u ranom srednjem vijeku [History of the Croats in the early Middle Ages]. Zagreb: Školska knjiga Publ., 1971. 593 p. (in Croatian).

Łuczyński, Michał. Językowo-kulturowy obraz Jaryły~Jarowita (próba rekonstrukcji) [Linguistic and cultural picture of Jarylo-Jarovit (An atempt at reconstruction)], in Nomos. Journal for the Study of Religions. 2013. Vol. 80. Pp. 85–97. (in Polish).

Margetić, Lujo. Bilješke u vezi s nastankom hrvatske države u 9. Stoljeću [Notes on the emergence of the Croatian state in the 9th century], in Budak, Neven (ed.). Etnogeneza Hrvata [Ethnogenesis of the Croats]. Zagreb: Matica hrvatska Publ.; Zavod za hrvatsku povijest Filozofskog fakulteta Publ., 1995. Pp. 144–147. (in Croatian).

McNair, Fraser. Sub-kingdoms and the Spectrum of Kingship on the Western Border of Charles the Bald’s Kingdom, in The Heroic Age. 2017. No. 17. URL: https://www.heroicage.org/issues/17/mcnair.php.

Milošević, Ante. Die Spätantike Territoriale und Kulturelle Kontinuitat in der Frühmittelalterlichen Cetinagegend [The Late Antique territorial and cultural continuity in the early medieval Cetina region], in Hortus artium medievalium. 1995. Vol. 1. Pp. 169–175. (in German).

Milošević, Ante. Križevi na obložnicama ranosrednjovjekovnih grobova u okolici Sinja [Crosses on grave slabs of early medieval graves in the environs of Sinj]. Dubrovnik; Split: Omega engineering Publ.: Filozofski fakultet u Splitu, Centar Studia mediterranea Publ., 2008. 104 p. (in Croatian).

Milošević, Ante. Tko je Porin iz 30. glave De administrando imperio? [Who is Porin of the 30th chapter of De administrando imperio?], in Starohrvatska prosvjeta. Ser. III. 2013. Vol. 40. Pp. 127–134. (in Croatian).

Nikolić Jakus, Zrinka (ed.). Nova zraka u europskom svjetlu. Hrvatske zemlje u ranome srednjem vijeku (oko 550 – oko 1150) [New ray in the European light: Croatian lands in the early middle ages (550–1150)]. Zagreb: Matica hrvatska Publ., 2015. 655 p. (in Croatian).

Schavelev, Aleksey Sergeyevich. Kak nayti khorvatov? O monografii D. E. Alimova «Etnogenez khorvatov...» [How to find Croats? An essay about the monograph of D. E. Alimov «The ethnogenesis of Croats…»], in Slovĕne. 2018. Vol. 7. No. 1. Pp. 437–449. (in Russian).

Shepard, Jonathan. Bunkers, Open Cities and Boats in Byzantine Diplomacy, in Dzino, Danijel; Parry, Ken (eds). Byzantium, Its Neighbours and Its Cultures. Sydney: Australian Association for Byzantine Studies, 2014. Pp. 11–44.

Smith, Julia M. H. Province and Empire: Brittany and the Carolingians. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992. 257 p.

Šišić, Ferdo. Povijest Hrvata u vrijeme narodnih vladara [History of the Croats in the time of national rulers]. Zagreb: Matica hrvatska Publ., 1925. 749 p. (in Croatian).

Štih, Peter. O novi knjigi, novejši hrvaški historiografi ji in novih pogledih na hrvaško zgodnjesrednjeveško zgodovino [On the new book, contemporary Croatian historiography, and new outlooks on the early mediaeval Croatian history], in Zgodovinski časopis. 2018. Vol. 72. No. 3–4. Pp. 464–497. (in Slovenian).

Vedriš, Trpimir; Agičić, Damir. Prof. dr. sc. Neven Budak — biobibliographica sexagenario dicata, in Radovi Zavoda za hrvatsku povijest. 2017. Vol. 49. Pp. 11–31. (in Croatian).

Tags: medieval studies, Croatia, early medieval Сroatia, ALIMOV D. E., RECENSIONES / REVIEWS, cultural studies

• Hits: 386