Dvornichenko A. Yu. Tribal structures and Slavic politogenesis (Some remarks)

Modified Date
Published Date:
Title of the article

Tribal structures and Slavic politogenesis (Some remarks)

Authors Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich — St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russia, Doctor in History, Professor, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
In the section Commentarii / Articles
Year 2015 Issue 2 Pages 152-160
Type of article RAR Index UDK 930.85 Index BBK 63.5
Abstract The article provides observations about the modern approach to the problem of the development of tribal structures among the Slavs and their connection with the process of the Slavs’ politogenesis. The Author raises a problem: what was the category of the ancient tribes of The Eastern Europe in terms of the ethnical processes? Who were the tribes, entered into the composition of the towns-states of the Anciet Rus’? There are no apprehensions, that at the level of a tribe we cannot find the ethinic consciousness. It
was at the under tribe level only. Slavonic tribes weren’t destroyed during the Great Migration of Peoples. German tribes were remained too. In Russian historiography all tribal structures were considered in their interrelations with commons, cities and state. All following social structures saved the clear tracks of tribes. The bright example – Novgorod the Great. It’s political and social organization we should understand in the context of the ancient tribal division. Studying of tribal and common structures should clear up the character of the early Slavonic states: “state of Samo”, “Great Moravia State” etc.
Keywords tribe, tribal structures, Slavs, politogenesis, chiefdom
Full text version of the article. Article language Russian
References
  • Alekseev, Sergey Viktorovich. Slavyanskaya Evropa V–VIII vekov [Slavic Europe of the 5th to 8th centuries]. Moscow: Veche Publ., 2009. 527 p. (in Russian).

Alimov, Denis Evgenyevich. Potestarnaya organizatsiya v slavyanskom mire v IX–X vv.: V poiskakh «pro­stogo vozhdestva» [Potestarian organization in the Slavic world in the 9th–10th centuries: In search of a «simple chiefdom»], in Popov V. A. (ed.). Rannie formy potestarnykh sistem [Early forms of potestarian systems]. St. Petersburg: Peter the Great Muzeum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) Publ., 2013. P. 133–163 (in Russian).

Bagnovskaya, Nela Mikhaylovna. Sevryuki: Naselenie Severskoy zemli v XIV–XVI vv. [Sevruk: The popu­lation of the Northern lands in the 14th–16th centuries]. Moscow: Paleotip Publ., 2002. 48 p. (in Russian).

Bromley, Yulian Vladimirovich. Ocherki teorii etnosa [Essays on the theory of ethnos]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1983. 412 p. (in Russian).

Claessen, Henry J. M. Problemy, paradoksy i perspektivy evolyutsionizma [Problems, paradoxes and per­spectives of evolutionism], in Al’ternativnye puti k tsivilizatsii [Alternative ways to civilization]. Moscow: Logos Publ., 2000. P. 6–23 (in Russian).

Сurta, Florin. The Making of the Slavs. History and Archaeology of the Lower Danube Region, c. 500–700. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 453 p.

Danilova, Galina Mikhaylovna. Problemy genezisa feodalizma u slavyan i germantsev (sravnitelnyj analiz frankskikh, drevnerusskikh, khorvatskikh, serbskikh i pol’skikh istochnikov) [Problems of the genesis of feu­dalism among the Slavs and Germans (a comparative analysis of Frankish, old-Russian, Croatian, Serbian and Polish sources)]. Petrozavodsk: Kareliya Publ., 1974. 231 p. (in Russian).

Danilova, Lyudmila Valerianovna. Sel’skaya obshchina v srednevekovoy Rusi [Rural community in medieval Russia]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1994. 318 p. (in Russian).

Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich. O vostochnoslavyanskom politogeneze v VI–X vv. [On the East Slavic politogenesis in the 6th–10th centuries], in Rossica Antiqua: Issledovaniya i materialy [Rossica Antiqua: Studies and materials]. 2006. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg State University Press, 2006. P. 184–195. (in Russian).

Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich. Politogenez v germanskoy istoriografii [Politogenesis in German histori­ography], in Bylye gody. 2014. № 34 (4). P. 487–497. (in Russian).

Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich. Rossiyskaya istoriya s drevneyshikh vremen do padeniya samoderzhaviya [Russian history from the earliest times to the fall of autocracy]. Moscow: Ves’ mir Publ., 2010. 939 p. (in Russian).

Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich. Zerkala i khimery. O vozniknovenii drevnerusskogo gosudarstva [Mirrors and chimeras. On the origin of the old Russian state]. St. Petersburg: Eurasia Publ.; Moscow: Clio Publ., 2014. 560 p. (in Russian).

Dvornichenko, Andrey Yuryevich; Filyushkin, Aleksandr Ilyich. Slavyanskaya obshchnost’: Al’ternativy i mify [Slavic community: Alternatives and myths], in Rodina. Special edition. 2007. № 6. P. 87–89. (in Russian).

Gadlo, Aleksandr Vilyamovich. Vostochnye slavyane, Rus’ i neslavyanskie plemena Vostochnoy Evropy [East Slavs, Rus’ and non-Slavic tribes of Eastern Europe], in Sovetskaya istoriografiya Kievskoy Rusi [Soviet historiography of Kievan Rus’]. Leningrad: Nauka Publ., 1978. P. 43–60. (in Russian).

Golubtsova, Elena Sergeevna. Obshchina, plemya, narodnost’ v antichnuyu epokhu [Community, tribe, eth­nic group in the antique times]. Moscow: «Nauka» Publ., 1998. 253 p. (in Russian).

Korotaev, Andrey Vital’evich. Apologiya traybalizma: Plemya kak forma sotsial’no-politicheskoy organi­zatsii slozhnykh nepervobytnykh obshchestv [The Apologia of the Tribalism: A Tribe as a Form of Socio-political Organization of Complex Non-primitive Societies], in Sotsiologicheskiy zhurnal. 1995. № 4. P. 68–86. (in Russian).

Korotaev, Andrey Vital’evich. Plemya kak forma sotsial’no-politicheskoy organizatsii slozhnykh nepervo­bytnykh obshchestv (v osnovnom po materialam Severo-Vostochnogo Yemena) [Tribe as a form of socio-political organization of complex non-primitive societies (mainly on materials of North-Eastern Yemen)], in Kradin, Nikolay Nikolaevich; Korotaev, Andrey Vital’evich; Bondarenko, Dmitriy Mikhaylovich; Lynsha, Valeriy Alekseevich (eds). Al’ternativnye puti k tsivilizatsii [ Alternative ways to civilization]. Moscow: Logos Publ., 2000. P. 265–291. (in Russian).

Korotaev, Andrey Vital’evich; Kradin, Nikolay Nikolaevich; Lynsha, Valeriy Alekseevich. Al’ternativy sotsial’noy evolyutsii (vvodnye zamechaniya) [Alternatives of social evolution (introductory notes)], in Kradin, Nikolay Nikolaevich; Korotaev, Andrey Vital’evich; Bondarenko, Dmitriy Mikhaylovich; Lynsha, Valeriy Alekseevich (eds). Al’ternativnye puti k tsivilizatsii [ Alternative ways to civilization]. Moscow: Logos Publ., 2000. P. 24–83. (in Russian).

Kubbel’, Lev Evgenyevich. Plemya [Tribe], in Svod etnograficheskikh ponyatiy i terminov. Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie otnosheniya i sotsionormativnaya kul’tura [Code of ethnographic concepts and terms. Socio-economic relations and socionormative culture]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1986. P. 144–146. (in Russian).

Modzelewski, Karol. Barbarzyńska Europa [Barbarian Europe]. Warszawa: Iskry Publ., 2004. 520 p. (in Polish).

Petrov, Aleksey Vladimirovich. Traditsionnoe chlenenie i nekotorye osobennosti vnutripoliticheskogo raz­vitiya srednevekovogo Novgoroda [Traditional partition and some features of internal political develop­ment of medieval Novgorod], in Istoricheskaya etnografiya. Russkiy Sever i Ingermanlandiya [Historical Ethnography. Russian North and Ingermanland]. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg State University Press, 1997. P. 49–59. (in Russian).

Pohl, Walter. Die Awaren. Ein Steppenvolk in Mitteleuropa 567–822 n. Chr. [The Avars: A steppe people in Central Europe. 567–822 A. D.]. München: C. H. Beck, 1988. 529 p. (in German).

Stanovlenie i razvitie ranneklassovykh obshchestv. Gorod i gosudarstvo [The formation and development of early class societies. The city and state]. Leningrad: Leningrad University Press, 1986. 337 p. (in Russian).

Sverdlov, Mikhail Borisovich. Domongol’skaya Rus’. Knyaz i knyazheskaya vlast’ na Rusi VI – pervoy treti XIII vv. [Pre-Mongol Rus’. Prince and princely power in Rus’ in the 6th – the first third of the 13th centuries]. St. Petersburg: Akademicheskiy proekt Publ., 2003. 735 p. (in Russian).

Tolochko, Aleksey Petrovich. Ocherki nachal’noy rusi [Essays on initial Rus’]. Kiev; St. Petersburg: Laurus Publ., 2015. 334 p. (in Russian).

Trubachev, Oleg Nikolaevich. Istoriya slavyanskikh terminov rodstva i nekotorykh drevneyshikh terminov obshchestvennogo stroya [History of Slavic kinship terms and some ancient terms of social order]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1959. 212 p. (in Russian).

Yasinskiy, Anton Nikitich. Padenie zemskogo stroya v Cheshskom gosudarstve (X–XIII vv.) [The fall of the land system in the Czech state (10th–13th centuries)]. Kiev, 1895. 193 p. (in Russian).

Tags: politogenesis, tribe, chiefdom, tribal structures, Slavs