Lavrentyev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich. To the history of the appearance of frescoes by Andrey Rublev and Daniil Cherniy in the Assumption Cathedral of Vladimir

Published Date:

For citation: Lavrentyev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich. To the history of the appearance of frescoes by Andrey Rublev and Daniil Cherniy in the Assumption Cathedral of Vladimir, in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2020. № 2. Pp. 141-158. DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/spbu19.2020.209

Title of the article To the history of the appearance of frescoes by Andrey Rublev and Daniil Cherniy in the Assumption Cathedral of Vladimir
Authors Lavrentyev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich — Ph. D. in History, Leading Researcher, School of Philology, Department of Humanities, National Research University «Higher School of Economics», Moscow, Russia, OrcID 0000-0003-1476-0759, ResearcherID L-4066-2015, ScopusID 57192429774, РИНЦ 4444-2715; e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
In the section Commentarii / Articles
Year 2020 Issue Pages 228-233 
Type of article RAR

Index UDK; BBK

UDK 94(47). 043;
BBK 63.3(2)44 
Index DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/spbu19.2020.209 
Abstract The article discusses the reasons and circumstances of the trip made by the famous icon painters Andrei Rublev and Daniil Cherny in 1408 to Vladimir-on-Klyazma in 1408, commissioned by the Grand Prince Vasily Dmitrievich in order to «renew» frescos of the Assumption Cathedral. The trip resulted in one of the most famous fresco ensembles of the Russian Middle Ages. In historiography, it is customary to explain the arrival of the icon painters to Vladimir by the constant concern of the Grand Prince authorities about the cultural and political «Vladimir heritage». The article suggests that a possible reason for the beginning of the works was the preparation of Vladimir and other cities on the former lands of the Grand Principality of Vladimir for their transfer to the governance of the Lithuanian Prince Svidrigailo Olgerdovich. In the summer of 1408 Svidrigailo left for Russia accompanied by the Bryansk bishop, Lithuanian Orthodox princes, boyars and a military squad. Awarding the ancient capital of the Great Principality to the new «servant» of the Grand Prince Vasily Dmitrievich Vladimir was unprecedented. Vladimir-on-Klyazma was never mentioned among the Russian territories granted to other Lithuanian princes who passed into the service of Moscow in the 14–15th centuries. Svidrigailo Olgerdovich’s «departure» and the simultaneous commanding of the icon painters to the city to work on the paintings of the cathedral was hardly an accident. At the end of the same year, Svidrigailo Olgerdovich left his new «service», and due to that the works on frescos were suspended and never not resumed in the future.
Keywords Andrey Rublev, Daniil Cherniy, Svidrigailo Olgerdovich, Vladimir na Klaz’me, art, cultural studies
Full text version of the article. Article language  Russian
Bibliography

Alferova, Gali Vladimirovna. Organizatsiya stroitel’stva gorodov v Russkom gosudarstve v XVI–XVII vv. [Organization of the construction of cities in the Russian state in the 16th–17th centuries], in Voprosy istorii. 1977. No. 7. Pp. 52–60. (in Russian).

Borisov, Nikolay Sergeevich. Russkaya tserkov’ v politicheskoy bor’be XIV–XV vekov [The Russian Church in the political struggle of the 14th–15th centuries]. Moscow: Moscow State University Press, 1986. 206 p. (in Russian).

Bryusova, Vera Grigoryevna. Andrey Rublev. Moscow: «Izobrazitel’noe iskusstvo» Publ., 1995. 210 p. (in Russian).

Bulanin, Dmitriy Mikhaylovich. Simon, in Slovar’ knizhnikov i knizhnosti Drevney Rusi. Leningrad: «Nauka» Publ., 1989. Issue 2. Part 2. Pp. 336–338. (in Russian).

Dudochkin, Boris Nikolaevich. Andrey Rublev. Biografiya. Proizvedeniya [Andrey Rublev. Biography. Works], in Khudozhestvennaya kul’tura Moskvy i Podmoskov’ya XIV – nachala XVI vekov: Sbornik statey v chest’ G. V. Popova. Moscow, 2002. (Trudy Tsentral’nogo muzeya drevnerusskoy kul’tury i iskusstva im. Andreya Rubleva. Vol. 2). Pp. 300–421. (in Russian).

Goleyzovskiy, Nikita Kasyanovich; Dergachev, Vladimir Vladimirovich. Novye dannye ob ikonostase 1481 goda iz Uspenskogo sobora Moskovskogo Kremlya [New evidences on the iconostasis of 1481 from the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin], in Sovetskoye iskusstvoznaniye. 1986. Issue 20. Pp. 445–470. (in Russian).

Gorskiy, Anton Anatolyevich. Moskva i Orda [Moscow and the Horde]. Moscow: «Nauka» Publ., 2001. 214 p. (in Russian).

Gorskiy, Anton Anatolyevich. Russkiye zemli v XIII–XIV vekah: Puti politicheskogo razvitiya [Russian lands in the 13th–14th centuries: The ways of political development]. St. Petersburg: «Nauka» Publ., 2016. 200 p. (in Russian).

Grabar, Igor Emanuilovich; Kemenov, Vladimir Semenovich; Lazarev, Viktor Nikitich (eds). Istoriya russkogo iskusstva [History of Russian Art]. Vol. 3. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Press, 1955. 575 p. (in Russian).

Grekov, Boris Dmitrievich; Yakubovskiy, Aleksandr Yuryevich. Zolotaya Orda i eye padeniye [The Golden Horde and its fall]. Moscow; Leningrad: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Press, 1950. 505 p. (in Russian).

Ilin, Mikhail Andreevich. Iskusstvo Moskovskoy Rusi epokhi Feofana Greka i Andreya Rubleva. Problemy. Gipotezy. Issledovaniya [The Art of Moscow Rus’ of the Times of Theophanes the Greek and Andrey Rublev. Problems. Hypotheses. Researches]. Moscow: «Iskusstvo» Publ., 1976. 256 p. (in Russian).

Kachalova, Irina Yakovlevna. Uspenskiy sobor [The Assumption Cathedral]. Moscow: «Khudozhnik i kniga» Publ., 2003. 56 p. (in Russian).

Kochetkov, Igor Aleksandrovich. Slovar’ russkikh ikonopistsev XI–XVII vekov [Dictionary of Russian icon painters of the 11th–17th centuries]. Moscow: «Indrik» Publ., 2011. 1104 p. (in Russian).

Kuchkin, Vladimir Andreevich. Andrey Ol’gerdovich, in Bol’shaya Rossiyskaya entsiklopediya. Vol. 1. Moscow: «Great Russian Encyclopedia» Publ., 2005. Pp. 730–731. (in Russian).

Kuchkin, Vladimir Andreevich. Formirovanie gosudarstvennoy territorii Severo-Vostochnoy Rusi v X–XIV vv. [Formation of the state territory of North-Eastern Rus’ in 10th–14th centuries]. Moscow: «Nauka» Publ., 1984. 350 p. (in Russian).

Kuchkin, Vladimir Andreevich; Popov, Gennadiy Viktorovich. Gosudarev d’yak Vasiliy Mamyrev i litsevaya Kniga prorokov 1489 g. [Sovereign’s diak Vasiliy Mamyrev and the illuminated Book of the Prophets of 1489], in Drevnerusskoe iskusstvo. Rukopisnaya kniga. Sbornik vtoroy. Moscow: «Nauka» Publ., 1974. Pp. 107–144. (in Russian).

Kuzmina, Vera Dmitrievna. Russkie pis’mennye istochniki ob Andree Rubleve [Russian narrative about Andrey Rublev], in Alpatov, Mikhail Vladimirovich (ed.). Andrey Rublev i ego epokha: Sbornik statey. Moscow: «Iskusstvo» Publ., 1971. Pp. 103–124. (in Russian).

Lavrentyev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich. Groza vo Vladimire 13 iyulya 1340 g. i krovel’nye raboty v Uspenskom sobore [Thunderstorm in Vladimir, July 13, 1340 and roofing works on the Assumption Cathedral], in «Vertograd mnogotsvetnyy»: Sb. k yubileyu B. N. Flori. Moscow: «Indrik» Publ., 2018. Pp. 187–208. (in Russian).

Lavrentyev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich. «Pelena Marii Tverskoy» i otnosheniya v dome moskovskikh knyazey 50–80-kh gg. XIV v. [«Pall of Maria Tverskaya» and relations in the house of Moscow princes, 1350–1380], in Voprosy epigrafiki. Moscow: Dmitry Pozharsky University Press, 2015. Issue 8. Pp. 193–224. (in Russian).

Lazarev, Viktor Nikitich. Andrey Rublev i ego shkola [Andrey Rublev and his school]. Moscow: «Iskusstvo» Publ., 1966. 366 p. (in Russian).

Leontyev, Aleksey Konstantinovich. Obrazovanie prikaznoy sistemy upravleniya v Russkom gosudarstve [Formation of «prikazy» management system in the Russian State]. Moscow: Moscow University Press, 1964. 200 p. (in Russian).

Likhachev, Dmitriy Sergeevich. Russkie letopisi i ikh kul’turno-istoricheskoe znachenie [Russian chronicles and their cultural and historical significance]. Moscow; Leningrad: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Press, 1947. 500 p. (in Russian).

Nasonov, Arseniy Nikolaevich. «Russkaya zemlya» i obrazovanie territorii Drevnerusskogo gosudarstva. Istoriko-geograficheskoe issledovanie. Mongoly i Rus’. Istoriya tatarskoy politiki na Rusi [«Russian land» and the formation of the territory of the Old Russian state. Historical and geographical study. The Mongols and Rus’. History of Tatar politics in Rus’]. St. Petersburg: «Nauka» Publ., 2002. 412 p. (in Russian).

Plugin, Vladimir Aleksandrovich. Mirovozzrenie Andreya Rubleva (nekotorye problemy). Drevnerusskaya zhivopis’ kak istoricheskiy istochnik [Alignment of Andrei Rublev (some problems). Old Russian painting as a historical source]. Moscow: Moscow State University Press, 1974. 164 p. (in Russian).

Plugin, Vladimir Aleksandrovich. Master svyatoy Troitsy [Artist of St. Trinity]. Moscow: Ob’edineniye «Rosarkhiv» Publ., 2001. 632 p. (in Russian).

Polekhov, Sergey Vladimirovich. Braki knyazya Svidrigaylo Ol’gerdovicha [The marriages of Prince Svidrigailo Olgerdovich], in «Po lyubvi, v pravde bezo vsyakie khitrosti». Druz’ya i kollegi k 80-letiyu Vladimira Andreevicha Kuchkina: Sbornik statey. Moscow: «Indrik» Publ., 2014. Pp. 235–268. (in Russian).

Polekhov, Sergey Vladimirovich. Nasledniki Vitovta. Dinasticheskaya voyna v Velikom knyazhestve Litovskom v 30-e gg. XV v. [Heirs of Vitovt. The dynastic war in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in the 1430s]. Moscow: «Indrik» Publ., 2015. 712 p. (in Russian).

Polekhov, Sergey Vladimirovich. «Rusiny opyat’ provozglasili ego svoim gospodinom». Knyaz’ Svidrigaylo — oppozitsioner nomer odin v Velikom knyazhestve Litovskom [«The Rusins again proclaimed him their master». Prince Svidrigailo — an oppositionist number one in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania], in Rodina. 2011. No. 10. Pp. 82–85. (in Russian).

Priselkov, Mikhail Dmitrievich. Troitskaya letopis’. Rekonstruktsiya teksta [Troitskaya Cronicle. Reconstruction of the text]. St. Petersburg: «Nauka» Publ., 2002. 518 p. (in Russian).

Romanova, Anastasiya Anatolyevna. Problemy izucheniya drevneyshego agiograficheskogo «spravochnika» russkikh svyatykh — «Knigi glagolemoy opisanie o rossiyskikh svyatykh» [Problems of studying the oldest hagiographic «reference book» of Russian saints — «Book Named as Description of Russian Saints»], in Drevnyaya Rus’. Voprosy mediyevistiki. 2009. No. 3 (37). Pp. 99–100. (in Russian).

Tęgowski, Jan. Pierwsze pokolenia Giedyminowiczόw [The first generations of Giedyminowicz]. Poznań, Wrocław: Wydаwnictwo Historyczne Publ., 1999. 320 p. (in Polish).

Tikhomirov, Mikhail Nikolaevich. Drevnerusskiye goroda [Old Russian Towns]. Moscow: State publishing house of political literature, 1957. 477 p. (in Russian).

Tupikov, Nikolay Mikhaylovich. Slovar’ drevnerusskikh lichnykh sobstvennykh imen [Dictionary of Old Russian personal names]. Moscow: «Languages of Slavic cultures» Publ., 2009. 1032 p. (in Russian).

Uspenskiy, Boris Andreevich; Uspenskiy, Fedor Borisovich. Inocheskie imena na Rusi [Monastic Names in Rus’]. Moscow; St. Petersburg: «Nestor-Istoriya» Publ., 2017. 340 p. (in Russian).

Veselovskiy, Stepan Borisovich. Dyaki i pod’yachie XV–XVII vv. [The Clerks and Scribes of the 15th–17th centuries]. Moscow: «Nauka» Publ., 1975. 608 p. (in Russian).

Veselovskiy, Stepan Borisovich. Feodal’noe zemlevladenie v Severo-Vostochnoy Rusi [Feudal land ownership in North-Eastern Rus’]. Vol. 1. Moscow; Leningrad: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Press, 1947. 496 p. (in Russian).

Voronin, Nikolay Nikolaevich. Zodchestvo Severo-Vostochnoy Rusi XII–XV vv. [Architecture of North-Eastern Rus’ in the 12th–15th centuries]. In 2 t. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Press, 1961–1962. T. 1. 584 p. T. 2. 588 p. (in Russian).

Tags: COMMENTARII / ARTICLES, LAVRENTIEV A. V., cultural studies, Art, painting

• Hits: 636