Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich. The planigraphy and chronology of the most ancient stages of the life of Rurikov hillfort according to research materials 2013–2016

Published Date:

For citation: Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich. The planigraphy and chronology of the most ancient stages of the life of Rurikov hillfort according to research materials 2013–2016, in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2019. № 2. Pp. 67–92. DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/11701/spbu19.2019.205

Title of the article The planigraphy and chronology of the most ancient stages of the life of Rurikov hillfort according to research materials 2013–2016
Authors

Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich — Ph. D. in History, Senior Researcher, Institute for the History of Material Culture of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia, OrcID 0000-0002-2995-7848, Scopus ID 25959010000, SPIN-код 9578-2307, e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

In the section  Commentarii / Articles
Year 2019 Issue  2 Pages  67–92
Type of article RAR Index UDK; BBK  UDK 902; BBK 63.4(2) Index DOI  10.21638/11701/spbu19.2019.205
Abstract

The research was support by Russian Academy of Sciences, project Nr. 0184-2019-0007 «Slavs, Finns and Germans in the Middle Ages. Ethnocultural diversity and the general patterns of historical development».

One of the outstanding discoveries made by E. N. Nosov at the Rurik hillfort (“gorodische”) near Novgorod is the discovery fortifications of the Rurik era. The archeologists studied them in 1989–2010. The article is devoted to the results of the next stage of the study of fortifications — excavations of 2013–2016. The place of excavations was situated in the northern, most ancient, part of the Rurik hillfort near the Cathedral of the Annunciation. It consists of the cultural layer of the settlement of the 7th (?) – early 10th century, reflecting the complex history of the archaeological microregion at the source of Volkhov. The author identifies six cultural-chronological stages in the settlement, covering the period from the era of the early metal to the beginning of the 10th century. Undoubtedly, the proposed scheme will become more complicated in the future, primarily due to the expansion of information about antiquities of the second half of the 1000 BC. e. – the first half of 1000 AD. During the excavation, the northern face of the fortifications of the second half of the 9th century overlooking Volkhov was found. The dirhams and the crest of the Scandinavian type found in the strike indicates to the early Viking era. The main result of the excavations was the discovery under these tree-earth fortifications of traces of earlier fortifications, allegedly dating from the 8th – first half of the 9th century, and associated with the small Slavic town of the hill type. The early fortifications, traced over 6 m and to a height of about 4 m, were a system of low scarp. On the terrace of one of them was situeted the pillar construction deepened into the ground. These fortifications were plowed up in the 8th - first half of the 9th century. It indicated that the toponym “Gorodishche” existed in the source of Volkhov already in this period. The new material adds new aspects to the discussion about the beginning of the Slavic colonization of banks of Ilmen’ Lake and the origin of Novgorod. A long-standing debate about the relationship between the place names “Gorodishche”, Novgorod, “Hólmgarđr” etc. receives new materials.

Keywords

region of Ilmen’ lake, Slavic colonization, prehistory of Novgorod, Early Middle Ages, ancient settlements

Full text version of the article. Article language  Russian
Bibliography
  • Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich. Novye arkheologicheskie dannye o dinamike uvlazhnennosti Severo-Zapada Rossii vo II tys. do n. e. – I tys. n. e. (po materialam poseleniy Il’men’ — Volkhovskogo regiona) [New archaeological data on the dynamics of moisture in the North-West of Russia in the 2000 BC – 1000 AD (based on materials from the settlements of Ilmen-Volkhov region).], in Arkheologiya Vladimiro-Suzdal’skoy zemli. 2018. Vol. 8. Pp. 39–58. (in Russian).

• Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich. O fortifikatsii gorodishch prazhskoy kul’tury Belorusskogo Polesya [About for-tification of the hillforts of Prague culture in Belarusian Polesie], in Kraeugol’niy kamen’. Arkhe-ologiya, istoriya, iskusstvo, kul’tura Rossii i sopredel’nykh stran. Vol. 1. Moscow: Lomonosov Publ., 2010. Pp. 269–283. (in Russian).

• Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich. Fragment predmeta tserkovnoy utvari s Bronnitskogo gorodishcha pod Novgoro-dom [Fragment of the artefact of church utensils from the Bronnitsky hillfort near Novgorod], in Zemlya nasha velika i obil’na. St. Petersburg: Nevskaya Tipografiya Publ., 2019. Pp. 101–114. (in Russian).

• Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich; Denisenkov, Viktor Petrovich; Letyuka, Nikolay Igorevich; Kochubey, Ol’ga Vladimirovna. Prirodnye i antropogennye faktory v dinamike landshaftov Volkhovskoy poymy v rannem srednevekovye (po materialam raskopok selishcha Sitno v 2016 g.) [Natural and anthropogenic factors in the dynamics of the landscapes of the Volkhov floodplain in the early Middle Ages (based on excavations of the settlment of Sitno in 2016)], in Arkheologiya poymy: relyef, paleosreda, istoriya zaseleniya. Moscow: Institute of Archaeology RAS Press, 2019. Pp. 35–45. (in Russian).

• Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich; Dzyuba, Ol’ga Fedorovna. Ocherki istoricheskoy geografii lesnoy chasti puti iz varyag v greki [Essays on the historical geography of the forest part of the track from the Varangians to the Greeks]. St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya Publ., 2010. 667 p. (in Russian).

• Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich; Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich. O raskopkakh fortifikatsionnykh sooruzheniy Ryurikova Gorodishcha Novgorodskoy oblastnoy ekspeditsiey IIMK RAN [On the excavation of fortifica-tions of Rurikov hillfort of the Novgorod Regional Expedition IHMK RAS], in Arkheologicheskie otkrytiya 2016 g. Moscow: Institute of Archaeology (RAS) Press, 2018. Pp. 52–57. (in Russian).

• Kudriavtsev, Andrei Alekseevich; Andrienko, Aleksei Vladimirovich. Veshchevye kompleksy iz raskopok tserkvi Blagoveshcheniya na Gorodishche pod Novgorodom v 2016 g. (predvaritel’noe soobshcheniye) [Complexes of things from the excavations of the Church of the Annunciation on the Settlement near Novgorod in 2016 (preliminary presentation)], in Novgorod i Novgorodskaia zemlya. Istoriya i arkheologiya. Velikiy Novgorod: Novgorodskiy gosudarstvenniy ob’edinenniy muzey-zapovednik Publ., 2017. Pp. 47–53. (in Russian).

• Lopatin, Nikolay Vladimirovich. Neskol’ko zametok o verkhnem sloe gorodishcha Tushemlya [A few notes about the upper layer of the Tushemlya hillfort], in De mare ad mare. Arkheologiya i istoriya: Sbornik statey k 60-letiyu N. A. Krenke. Smolensk: Svitok Publ., 2017. Pp. 149–153. (in Russian).

• Mikhailov, Kirill Alekseevich. Rekonstruktsiya drevneyshikh ukrepleniy Starokiyevskogo gorodishcha [Reconstruction of the oldest fortifications of the Starokievsky hillfort], in Arkheologіia і davnia іstorіia Ukraіni. 2010. Vol. 1. Pp. 308–315.

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich. Novgorodskoe (Ryurikovo) Gorodishche [Novgorod (Rurik) hillfort]. Lenin-grad: Nauka Publ., 1990. 211 p. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich. Tridtsat’ let raskopok Gorodishcha: itogi i perspektivy [Thirty years of exca-vation of the Settlement: results and perspectives], in U istokov Russkoy gosudarstvennosti. St. Petersburg: Dmitriy Bulanin Publ., 2007. Pp. 23–58. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich. Khol’mgard — Novgorod — Gorodishche (k voprosu o pervom nazvanii tsentra Severnoi Rusi) [Holmgard — Novgorod — Gorodishche (on the question of the first name of the center of Northern Russia)], in Novgorod i Novgorodskaya zemlya. Istoriya i arkheologiya. Velikiy Novgorod: Novgorodskiy gosudarstvenniy ob’edinenniy muzey-zapovednik Publ., 2017. Pp. 116–120. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich; Eremeev, Ivan Igorevich; Dorofeeva, Tatyana Semenovna; Medvedeva, Mariya Vladimirovna; Khvoshchinskaya, Nataliya Vadimovna; Yushkova, Mariya Andreevna. Novye raskopki Ryurikova Gorodishcha i Shkurinoy Gorki [New excavations of Rurik hillfort and Shkurina Gorka], in Novgorod i Novgorodskaya zemlya. Istoriya i arkheologiya. Velikiy Novgorod: Novgorodskiygosudarstvennyi ob’edinenniy muzey-zapovednik Publ., 2004. Pp. 18–22. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich; Goryunova, Valentina Mikhaylovna; Plokhov, Aleksey Vyacheslavovich. Gorodishche pod Novgorodom i poseleniya Severnogo Priil’menya [Gorodische (hillfort) near Novgorod and settlements of Northern Priilmen’ye]. St. Petersburg: Dmitriy Bulanin Publ., 2005. 402 p. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich., Khvoshchinskaia, Nataliya Vadimovna, Medvedeva, Mariya Vladimirovna. Novgorodskaia Rus’: Rozhdenie derzhavy. Svidetel’stva iz glubiny stoletii [Novgorod Russia: Birth of a state. Testimonies from the depths of centuries]. Sankt-Peterburg: LIK Publ., 2012. 222 p. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich; Plokhov, Aleksey Vyacheslavovich; Khvoshchinskaya, Natalya Vadimovna. Ryurikovo Gorodishche. Noviye etapy issledovaniy [Rurik hillfort. New stages of research]. Sankt-Peterburg: Dmitriy Bulanin Publ., 2017. 285 p. (in Russian).

• Nosov, Evgeniy Nikolaevich; Khvoshchinskaya, Nataliya Vadimovna. Ryurikovo Gorodishche — vydayushchiysya arkheologicheskiy pamyatnik Drevney Rusi [Rurik Hillfort — an outstanding archaeological monument of Ancient Russia], in Proshloye chelovechestva v trudakh peterburgskikh arkheologov na rubezhe tysyacheletiy. (K 100-letiyu sozdaniya rossiyskoy akademicheskoy arkheologii). St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoe Vostokovedenie Publ., 2019. Pp. 302–323. (in Russian).

• Shcheglova, Ol’ga Alekseyevna. Volny rasprostraneniya veshchey iz Podunavya na severo-vostok v VI– VIII vv. kak otrazhenie migratsii ili kul’turnykh vliyaniy [Waves of the spread of things from the Danube region to the northeast in the 6th–8th centuries as a reflection of migrations or cultural influences], in Trudy Gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha. 2009. T. XLIX. Slozhenie Russkoi gosudarstvennosti v kontekste rannesrednyevyekovoy istorii Starogo Sveta. Pp. 39–65. (in Russian).

• Yanin, Valentin Lavrentyevich. Sotsial’no-politicheskaya struktura Novgoroda v svete arkheologicheskikh issledovaniy [The socio-political structure of Novgorod in the opinion of archaeological research], in Novgorodskiy istoricheskiy sbornik. Leningrad: Nauka Publ, 1982. Vol. 11. Pp. 79–95. (in Russian).

Tags: early Middle Ages, Novgorod the Great, Slavic-Russian archeology, discoveries and hypotheses, region of Ilmen’ lake, Slavic colonization, prehistory of Novgorod, settlements, Rurikovo gorodistche