Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna. Two local types of early medieval ornaments, or On the value of inconspicuous finds

Published Date:

For citation: Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna. Two local types of early medieval ornaments, or On the value of inconspicuous finds, in Studia Slavica et Balcanica Petropolitana. 2019. № 2. Pp. 101-108. DOI https://doi.org/10.21638/11701/spbu19.2019.207 

Title of the article Two local types of early medieval ornaments, or On the value of inconspicuous finds
Authors

Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna — Ph. D. in History, Head of Laboratory of St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russia, OrcID http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2381-5638, Scopus ID 56523061100, SPIN-code 6541-2751, AuthorID I-3548-2014, e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In the section Commentarii / Articles
Year 2019 Issue  2 Pages 101-108 
Type of article RAR Index UDK; BBK  UDK 904; BBK 63.4(2) Index DOI  10.21638/11701/spbu19.2019.207
Abstract

The article is devoted to the informativeness of some archaeological finds, which are usually not included in typological schemes due to their external inexpressiveness. Two types of metal artifacts found in a high barrow near the village of Repyi in the Leningrad Region are analyzed – lamellar pentagonal clips and staples from a narrow plate or wire. Each type dates from the Viking Age and is associated with a specific group of antiquities, which can be localized on a geographical map. Pentagonal clips for hanging trapezoidal pendants are localized in the basin of the river Plyussa, and one more find is associated with hill fort at Izborsk. Wire “staples” are presented on the sites intent on the Baltic-Finnish world: in the stone burial site Severik, the promontory fort of Vtyrka on the Izhora plateau, the Carelian burial ground of Kylälahti Kalmistomäki. Therefore, seemingly featureless finds have significant informational potential, they allow to learn about the chronology and cultural ties of specific archaeological sites as surely as glass beads or metal buckles and bracelets. 

Keywords

Pskov long barrows culture, medieval Russian culture, the Viking age, cultural ties, chronology 

Full text version of the article. Article language  Russain
Bibliography
  • Bel’skiy, Stanislav Viktorovich. Mogil’nik Kyulyalahti Kalmistomyaki v Severo-Zapadnom Priladozhye (arheologicheskie issledovaniya 2006–2009 godov) [Kulälahti Kalmistomäki cemetery in the North- Western Ladoga region (archaeological research in 2006–2009)]. St Petersburg: Nauka Publ., 2012. 240 p. (in Russian)

Kuz’min, Sergey Leonidovich. Kompleks pamyatnikov v urochishhe Milozh’ u d. Skovorodka v kontekste drevnostey Verhnego Poplyusya rubezha I i II tys. n. e. [The complex of sites in the boundary Milozh’ near the village of Skovorodka in the context of the antiquities of the Upper Plyussa river basin at the turn of the 1st and 2nd thousand AD], in Vestnik molodyh uchenyh. Istoricheskie nauki. 2001. Nr. 1. Special Issue: Archeology. Pp. 56–62. (in Russian).

Lebedev, Gleb Sergeevich. O vremeni poyavleniya slavyan na Severo-Zapade [About the time of the appear­ance of the Slavs in the Northwest]. In: Stoliar, Abram (ed.). Severnaya Rus’ i ee sosedi. Leningrad: Leningrad University Publ., 1982. Pp. 29–39. (in Russian).

Lebedev, Gleb Sergeevich. Sopka u d. Rep’i v Verhnem Poluzhye [Sopka at the village of Repyi in the Upper Luga], in Kratkiye soobshheniya Instituta arheologii = Brief reports of the Institute of Archeology. 1978. Vol. 155. Pp. 93–99. (in Russian).

Lebedev, Gleb Sergeevich. Arheologicheskie pamjatniki Leningradskoy oblasti [Archaeological sites of the Leningrad region]. Leningrad: Lenizdat Publ., 1977. 231 p. (in Russian).

Lesman, Yuriy Michaylovich. Skandinavskiy komponent drevnerusskoy kul’tury [Scandinavian component of medieval Russian culture], in Stratum Plus. 2014. Vol. 5. Pp. 45–87. (in Russian).

Lesman, Yuriy Michaylovich. Hronologiya yuvelirnyh izdeliy Novgoroda (X–XIV vv.) [Chronology of Novgorod jewelry (10th–14th centuries)], in Yanin, Valentin (ed.). Materialy po arheologii Novgoroda, 1988. Moscow: s. l., 1990. Pp. 29–98. (in Russian).

Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna. Beskurgannye mogil’niki bliz Kotorskogo pogosta: hronologija i mesto sredi drevnostej lesnoj polosy Vostochnoj Evropy [Flat cemeteries near the Kotorski Pogost: chronology and place among the antiquities of the forest belt of Eastern Europe], in Makarov, Nikolay (ed.). Rus’ v IX–XII vekah: obshhestvo, gosudarstvo, kul’tura. Moscow; Vologda: Drevnosti Severa Publ., 2014. Pp. 317–335. (in Russian).

Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna. Gorodishhe na Vtyrke [The fort on Vtyrka], in Platonova, Nataliya (ed.). Élite ou Égalité. Severnaja Rus’ i kul’turnye transformacii v Evrope VII–XII vv. St.-Peterburg: Branko Publ., 2017. Pp. 261–282. (in Russian).

Mikhaylova, Elena Robertovna. Nasyp’ u der. Rep’i: mesto sredi pogrebal’nyh pamjatnikov Severo-Zapada konca I tys. n. je. [Mound at Repyi village: a place among the funerary sites of the North-West in the end of 1st thousand AD], in Arheologiya i istoriya Pskova i Pskovskoy zemli. 2013. Vol. 58. P. 335–345. (in Russian).

Sedov, Valentin Vasilyevich. Izborsk v rannem srednevekovye. [Izborsk in the Early Middle Ages]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2007. 413 p. (in Russian).

Sedova, Mariya Vladimirovna. Yuvelirnye izdeliya drevnego Novgoroda (X–XV vv.) [Jewelry of medieval Novgorod (10th – 15th centuries)]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1981. 194 p. (in Russian).

Tarakanova, Susanna Andreevna. Pskovskie kurgany s truposozhzheniem [Pskov burial mounds with cre­mations], in Kratkie soobshheniya Instituta istorii material’noy kul’tury = Brief reports of the Institute for the History of Material Culture. 1951. Vol. XXXVI. Pp. 141–154. (in Russian). 

Tags: chronology, culture of medieval Russia, thing in history, dating, Slavic-Russian archeology, discoveries and hypotheses, archeology, Pskov long barrows culture, medieval Russian culture, Viking age, cultural ties